Your online presence is increasingly important in networking and an online job search. Here are five tips to create an appealing LinkedIn profile that allows you to highlight your unique experience.
1. You must have a photo, preferably a professional head shot. Try to avoid flashy clothing and make sure your photo has no cut-off people in it and that the photo is not too casual.
2. Customize your public profile URL. This will allow your public profile (visible to people who aren’t signed on to LinkedIn) to show up in search engine results. You can now select which sections of your profile appear publicly. Customize your page with your name as seen below (unless it’s already taken).
3. Customize your headline. This should be a personal tag that accurately depicts who you are. Feel free to be creative or list your current title.
4. Keep your blocks of text and paragraphs short or include lists that are easy to read.
5. Make sure you get recommendations from previous colleagues and bosses.