Acceptable Use Policy
Any electronic access, services or products provided by the Caltech Alumni Association to members of the Caltech community, including but not limited to official Caltech groups and group functionality on third-party commercial web sites, are considered part of the "Alumni E-Space." By using the Alumni E-Space, you agree to be bound by the following Acceptable Use Policy.
You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials ("Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are solely your responsibility. This means that you, and not the Alumni Association or the California Institute of Technology ("Caltech"), are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide via the Alumni E-Space. This site and its managers do not control Content posted or transmitted via the Alumni E-Space and its members, and therefore, do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content. The Alumni Association, Caltech or its designees shall have the right in their sole discretion to refuse, remove, or modify for any reason any Content that is available via the Alumni E-Space including, but not limited to, it being found to be offensive, indecent, objectionable, or in violation of the law. You understand that by using the Alumni E-Space, you may be exposed to Content that you may consider to be objectionable.
You agree to not use the Alumni E-Space to:
- upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide any Content that infringes on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of unauthorized solicitation,;
- upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, interfere with or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- interfere with or disrupt the Alumni E-Space or servers or networks connected to the Alumni E-Space, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Alumni E-Space;
- "stalk" or otherwise harass another;
- promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities, promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual;
- use your webspace as storage for remote loading or hosting;
- engage in commercial activities such as offering for sale any products or services or soliciting for advertisers or sponsors
Any person who violates any provision of this Acceptable Use Policy or other applicable local, State, or Federal laws or regulations may be suspended or terminated from the Alumni E-Spaces at the sole discretion of the Alumni Association or Caltech. You agree that if you violate any of the provisions of this Acceptable Use Policy or in any other way in using the Alumni E-Space violate any law or otherwise cause the Alumni Association or Caltech to be subject to liability, you will indemnify the Alumni Association and Caltech for all their resulting losses, damages and costs, including attorneys' fees.
Alumni Directory Acceptable Use: The online directory ("Alumni Network") is for official Institute and Alumni Association use, and also for individual communication of a personal nature between members listed herein. Use of the Alumni Network for any other purpose, including, but not limited to, reproducing and storing in a retrieval system by any means, electronic of mechanical, photocopying or using the addresses or other information contained in the Alumni Network for any private, commercial, or political mailing is strictly prohibited and is in direct violation of copyright and constitutes misappropriation of corporate property.
IF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, CALTECH OR ITS DESIGNATED AGENT RECEIVES ANY COMPLAINTS REGARDING A MEMBER'S ABUSE OF THE ALUMNI E-SPACE, AN INVESTIGATION MAY BE NECESSARY TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH THIS ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY OR OTHER APPLICABLE CITY, STATE, OR FEDERAL LAWS OR REGULATIONS. DURING AND FOLLOWING THE RESOLUTION OF ANY VIOLATIONS, A MEMBER'S ALUMNI E-SPACE MAY BE SUSPENDED UNTIL FINAL RESOLUTION OF THE DISPUTE.
CALTECH MAY ROUTINELY EXAMINE NETWORK TRANSMISSION PATTERNS SUCH AS SOURCE/DESTINATION, ADDRESS/PORT, FLAGS, PACKET SIZE, PACKET RATE AND OTHER INDICIA OF TRAFFIC ON SERVERS CONNECTED TO ITS SYSTEMS. WHILE CALTECH WILL NOT, AS A ROUTINE MATTER, REVIEW THE CONTENT OF ELECTRONIC MESSAGES OR OTHER DATA, FILES, OR RECORDS GENERATED, STORED, OR MAINTAINED ON CALTECH ELECTRONIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS, CALTECH RETAINS THE RIGHT, IN ITS DISCRETION, TO INSPECT, REVIEW, OR RETAIN THE CONTENT OF ELECTRONIC MESSAGES AND OTHER DATA, FILES, OR RECORDS GENERATED, STORED, OR MAINTAINED ON ITS SERVERS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT PRIOR NOTIFICATION, FOR LEGITIMATE INSTITUTE REASONS. THESE LEGITIMATE REASONS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, RESPONDING TO LAWFUL SUBPOENAS OR COURT ORDERS, INVESTIGATING MISCONDUCT AND DETERMINING COMPLIANCE WITH CALTECH POLICIES.